Friday, October 26, 2012

We found our mystery frog

We found our mystery frog tonight and I was right, it's Littoria fallax, commonly known as Dwarf Green Tree Frog. I heard it calling tonight, so my daughter and I went outside with a torch to hunt. We spotted five, yes FIVE Striped Marsh Frogs. The little fello with one eye was calling "toc" very loudly. Then I could hear the "reeeek...pip, pip" even while we were right there, shining torches and cameras into the pond. I couldn't find it and was looking all about the reeds, then my daughter spotted this tiny little frog sitting on the reeds. Here it is, isn't it adorable? Sooo excited to finally catch a glimps.




Littoria fallax is only tiny, 2.5cm long. This little one is all green, however they can be green and fawn or all fawn. The most distinguishing feature I noticed, was the narrow brown stripe from the nostril to the eye. So very pleased we captured some photos of it.

This morning we also spotted this large Green Tree Frog (Litoria caerulea). It was calling earlier this morning, a deep "crawk" and I had a look around and couldn't see it. Then when I pulled the cover off the pool so my daughter could have a swim, she immediately spotted it. It was happy enough for me to take photos and then quickly moved away when we got into the pool.



Easily distinguished due to its size of about 10cm. Doesn't it look rather relaxed and content there on the side of our pool? I really wanted to have a hold and for my daughter to hold it too but I thought we wouldn't disturb it too much. Maybe another day when we spot it again, we'll have a hold.

Lastly I'll add another photo of the Striped Marsh Frog (Limnodynastes peronii). We saw five tonight. We have a wire grate over our pond to keep it safe for the kids. I have worried about whether this would be an obstacle for the frogs but it doesn't seem to be. It is probably providing a safer sanctuary for them and the fish from predators such as Kookaburras.

 
So I am very happy and frog content tonight. Mystery solved! So to my current knowledge my place is home to four frog species and a toad.
 
 

1 comment: