Sunday, July 21, 2013

Noisy Miner nest with chicks

Last week my daughter told me three times there was a bird's nest in one of her climbing trees, before I actually stopped to look. I couldn't believe it, the nest is so close to the house. I had noticed Noisy Miners frequenting the tree but I didn't take a closer look. Life gets busy, we always have lots of things to do and even though I take time for nature, sometimes I find myself unaware. It was really great to be reminded to slow down and take some time for nature again.


The nest was of a Noisy Miner and this little honeyeater is very common throughout Brisbane. It's a native bird which has flourished in urban environments. They particularly like edge environments, where tall bushland meets suburbia. They live in territorial groups and as you have probably noticed, they are very aggressive and will mob predators in their territory.
 
The thing I like about the Noisy Miner is that they are boisterous about predators being nearby. So when I hear their 'alarm calls' I know to head outside and see what's going on. They have alerted me to cats, goannas, many different bird species and foxes.
 
The eggs in the nest have hatched now and it's been great for my children to see the birds working as a community to feed the chicks. My daughter has sat for ages just watching them. She  knows not to climb too high in the tree and disturb the nest. Pretend nest building has become a favourite play activity at the moment. We look forward to seeing the chicks grow and leave the nest.

 
You can see how close the tree (which contains the nest) is to our front door.


Sitting quietly in the tree, watching the mother and her chicks in the nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment